WARNING: This recipe is not 30A approved! It is not going to get you bikini ready, but it is delicious! And perfect for a rainy day! My Nanny used to make this often and sometimes, I’d even get my own small ham pie! So many of my childhood memories center around time spent at both of my grandparents’ houses. Both of my grandmothers spoiled us with delicious southern cooking on a regular basis. My Nanny passed away seven years ago, but I use so many of her things daily–dishes, dish towels, aprons, pot holders…
This ham pie is straight down home country cooking. A south Alabama gourmet meal. I’m sure you could serve it with a nice clean green side salad, but I like to take the bone from the center of the ham, throw it in a pot of lima beans, and serve those as the green side dish.
- Large slice of ham
- 4 cups of water, reserving 1 cup
- A pinch of thyme and garlic powder
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup self rising flour
- Boil ham in water, seasoned with thyme and garlic.
- When cooled, tear into bite sized pieces and layer in a large buttered casserole dish.
- Place egg slices over ham.
- Mix cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of ham broth, stirring until blended well. Pour over egg and ham.
- Mix butter, milk, and flour. Pour over ham and soup mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until golden brown.